Tuesday, January 1, 2008

1/1/08 - Cache Creek Hike


Click Here For Full Screen Photo Slideshow

Happy New Year, everyone! Below is a trip summary and pics of my New Year's Day hike in the Cache Creek Natural Area north of Rumsey, CA. Feel free to skip the Trip Summary and scroll to the bottom if you just want to see the pics.

Trip Summary
I decided to spend the first day of 2008 hiking, as one of my resolutions is to spend more time in the outdoors (particularly after I'm gainfully employed once again). I'd originally planned to hike a trail near the junction of Routes 16 and 20 (north of Rumsey, CA). I'd planned it out using a topographical mapping program. Unfortunately, when I got to the "trailhead", there was a locked gate with a no trespassing sign on it. The problem with maps and mapping programs they're made using aerial/satellite photos and don't differentiate between private and public lands.

I drove a few miles south and ended up at the Cache Creek Natural Area, a small park on BLM land near Cache Creek. After talking to a rather gruff BLM ranger (seemed more cop than ranger), he said my best bet for hiking was to cross Cache Creek and go overland. I was hoping to photograph the resident elk herd, which numbers 150 to 200.

After lucking across an extremely shallow section of Cache Creek, I crossed and went overland across the valley floor. The grass had been heavily grazed, so I knew the elk herd was there somewhere. I hiked to the top of a rather steep hill which gave me a great view of the valley, but still couldn't find the herd. They must've been hiding somewhere out of range. I ended up hiking a little further, then headed back down the hill.

I only saw one other person hiking all day and that was some guy stretching out a long, red sheet on the other side of the valley. Couldn't figure out what it was, even through my long lens, but I took a few shots. After zooming in on the computer at home, it appears to be some sort of paraglider. If I'd known that, I'd have stuck around long enough to watch him get airborne.

On my way back, I stumbled across a strange, hollowed-out area of dense undergrowth underneath some dead trees. It almost looked like something's shelter or "den". Being a typical guy, I had to go inside and take photos. Then I realized that being either mauled by a mountain lion or trampled by a panicked elk would not start off 2008 well, so I left.

Overall, a good trip. I'd have liked to have seen some elk, but I got some exercise, fresh air and solitude, which were my primary goals. After finding the BLM web site for this area, there are a number of trails I might take in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions! Take care and happy 2008!
------------------------------------------
Click Here For Full Screen Slideshow (recommended)

Individual Photos (26 photos)

Driving Directions (courtesy of Google Maps)

Cache Creek Natural Area BLM Web Site

1 comment:

Dona said...

Thanks for the great directions and info...I'm gonna do this hike tomorrow! :) Hope you're having a great holiday!