Friday, September 7, 2007

9/7/07 - Crater Lake/Oregon Coast Trip


Click Here For Full Screen Photo Slideshow

Below is a trip summary and pics (end of email) to my recent camping trip up to Crater Lake, OR and along the Oregon Coast. Feel free to skip the narrative stuff and scroll to the bottom if you just want to see the pics. I won't be hurt, honest!

Trip Summary
I'd originally planned to head to Montana/Wyoming and visit Glacier NP and/or Yellowstone NP. However, after looking at the distances on Google maps, I decided it was a bit further than I wanted to travel. So I decide to go to Crater Lake National Park instead.

I left Friday (9/7) and arrived at Crater Lake that evening. I got a camp site at Mazuma Campground and stayed for tow nights. Crater Lake is absolutely beautiful. It was formed when a volcano (Mt. Mazuma) erupted 7,700 years ago, emptying it's huge magma chamber and causing the top of the mountain to collapse in on itself. This created the 1,943 ft deep lake we see today. It is made up entirely of rain and snow run-off, which sounds shocking until you hear that the average snowfall is 44 ft. The extreme blue color of the lake (no, I did not Photoshop these pics!) is caused by it's depth, as light is absorbed color by color as it pass through clear water and the last color absorbed are the blues. The sky is blue for the same reason.

On Saturday, I drove the entire road around the lake. It takes 2-3 hours, more if you stop and hike like I did. The views from each area is different, as you'll see in the photos. You need at least one full day to appreciate the park fully. One thing I didn't get to do was take the boat tour. This requires getting tickets the day of and a long, steep hike down into the crater. It looks neat, but it's a half day excursion.

On Sunday, I headed west to the coast via the Umpqua/Rogue Scenic Highway (138). Beautiful, but very curvy and tiring to drive. Would've loved to fish, but didn't have room for fishing gear in the ol' Accord. I got to the coast around 6:00 and camped at Bullards Beach State Park that night (9/9). I didn't get to take a photo of the camp site, but we were packed in like sardines. One plus was that it encouraged me to meet my neighbors (one of whom, Chuck, I got to ask about his jet boat and crab pots).

On Monday, I headed down the coast on 101 to Crescent City. By the time I got there, I was tired, dirty and didn't feel like setting up the tent a 3rd time (only to have it get soaked by the fog, which makes packing up difficult). So I wimped out and got a hotel room. After a shower and a meal of Cajun ling cod at the local seafood place, I watched the 49er's on Monday Night Football and sleep in a comfy bed. It was nice.

On Tuesday, I headed home. According to Matt-Matt (similar to a Tom-Tom, only less expensive and consists of me on the phone with my brother sitting at his computer on Google Maps), the drive home was 6.5 hours. With a half hour lunch and occasional stops for pics, I was home in 9 hours. I did spend 45 minutes at Sundial Bridge in Redding. It's a 700 ft. pedestrian bridge that is supported by cables stemming from one massive column. It's a beautiful work of architectural art and well worth the short stop.

All in all a great trip that I'd recommend to everyone. Let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, just enjoy the photos below!

------------------------------------------
Note: To use any photo as a screen background, go to that photo, click on the magnifying glass in upper right, then right-click and set as your background.

Photo Slideshow: http://picasaweb.google.com/michaelmacintosh/OregonRoadTripSept2007/photo#s5109548227766919090

No comments: