Sunday, March 16, 2008

3/16/08 - Walking In Davis

Sorry - No Photos For This Entry

I debated whether to post this, since A) there are no photographs to go with it and B) I'm not sure "walks" count as "trips". But one of the purposes of this blog is act as a resource of places to visit and things to do, so I figured what the heck.

For those who don't know, I've been walking for exercise a lot lately (and by "a lot", I mean almost daily and 2-4 miles per day). I found running was too hard on my knees/shins/tendons at my current weight and early attempts ended in injury. So I resigned myself to walking instead.

For me, the key has been listening to NPR podcasts as I walk. I got the idea from my buddy Mike R, who listens while walking to and from work. I found that I get in a zone and can walk for miles and miles without even noticing. I think the podcasts occupy my overactive mind during the long walks in a way not much else can. I've tried walking to music and it doesn't distract me enough. Oddly enough, I can't run without music (preferably something from a Rocky soundtrack). Go figure....

I highly encourage anyone who is out of shape, wants to lose weight, or just wants to get out of the house more often to take up walking. No membership is required and you can do it anywhere. It will also get you into good hiking shape to try out some of the hikes detailed in this blog!

Below are a few things that have really helped me go from "Couch Potato" to "Avid Walker".

Mike's Recommendations (if you decide to take up walking):
  • Learn What a Podcast Is: For those unfamiliar with podcasting, the ones I download are clips of NPR radio shows. I download them for free via iTunes. The songs are then placed on an MP3 player

  • Buy an MP3 Player: These are available at any electronic store. The most popular is the iPods, which comes in various models, but there are many other types. I have a Zen Nano made by Creative Labs. They all do essentially the same thing: They store music files on something the size of a 5 sticks of gum, powered by a single AAA battery.

  • Start Downloading Podcasts: There are various ways of getting podcasts. I use iTunes (available for download at www.itunes.com). Once you downloaded and installed iTunes, Click on "iTunes Store", search for "NPR Podcasts" and start subscribing. You then transfer them to your MP3 player via whatever the method specified for your MP3 player. I'm sure iPod syncs automatically somehow, but you'll have to consult a non-Scottish person who doesn't own a cheaper off-brand.

  • Pick some interesting/scenic routes: Don't just walk around your own block. It gets boring. In Davis, I'm blessed with tons of greenbelts to walk through, which makes it a lot more enjoyable. I've listed some of my routes in the links below. Some start at my house, others I drive to the starting point. Trust me, it matters.

  • Get decent shoes: Invest in some walking or cross-training shoes if you don't have them. If your sneakers are at death's door, and you won't buy new ones, invest in some gel insoles. Not that I'm describing myself or anything...

  • Start Small: Start with a very short increments, whether a few blocks, a half mile or a mile every other day. Walking 4 miles your first day will just make you sore (or worse, you'll injure yourself) and you'll give up.

  • Work through the soreness: The first 1-2 weeks will not be fun. Accept that right now. The next two weeks will be much easier. The two weeks after that, you'll feel antsy if you DON'T get a walk in every day. Not sure if it's the endorphins or what, but it's addicting.

  • Do it NOW: The weather will not get better than it is right now. You have a limited amount of time before the weather gets really hot (then really, REALLY hot) and you want to be addicted by then.

------------------------------------------
Free Web Site For Creating Routes (w/ total distances) (www.gmap-pedometer.com)

Mike's Arboretum Loop (4.4 miles - Davis, CA)

Mike's Walnut Park Loop (3.1 miles - Davis, CA)

Mike's Mace Ranch Loop (2.4 miles - Davis, CA)

Mike's Wildhorse Loop (3.3 miles - Davis, CA)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow Mike! I never had the chance to seriously look at your blog, but what a wealth of information you have here. You have inspired me to finally buy a tent and some camping equipment and go out an explore this great state! Heck, maybe I'll even keep up with my blog too :) Thanks!