Thursday, May 1, 2008

5/1/08 - Yuba River


Click Here For Full Screen Photo Slideshow

Last Thursday, I tagged along with my dad and two of his fishing buddies (Russ L and John F.) on a fishing trip to the Yuba River. I arrived later than my early-rising father, so I had to track him down with the use of a two-way radio and comparing our relative positions using three buzzards that were circling overhead. Unfortunately, none of the three fishermen were having much luck. The wind was blowing across the stream, making casting very difficult. And while there were a number of large fishing rising and jumping, none were hitting on the flies they were using.

With the fishing as bad as it was, I was glad I brought my camera instead of my fishing pole. I got some good shots of them fishing, though I was hoping a shot of one of them with a big fish (I think they were hoping for that even more than I was). Also got some neat shots of the local Flora and Fauna as well, including some buzzards that kept circling overhead.

Mike's Recommendations (if you decide to visit):

  • Fishing Notes: This section of the Yuba is home to some very big fish. Bring an ability to roll cast, chest waders (it's deep), and a big assortment of flies.

  • Hiking: Not a huge amount of hiking to be had on the northern side of the river (and portions of the trail are thick with poison oak). Probably not an ideal hiking area, though the southern side of the river looked interesting.

  • Kayakers and Rafters: Looked like an interesting area to kayak or raft, though signs warned of a submerged dam 6 miles below where 20 crosses the river. Apparently, this is a common pullout for rafters putting in at Englebright Dam for a Class III run.

  • Where to Park: Cars do get broken into in this area, so I recommend parking further up the road instead of directly under the bridge (where you aren't as visible from the highway). In fact, we saw remnants of a shattered window directly under the bridge. Goes without saying not to leave any valuables in your car.

  • Windy Conditions: Be aware that the Yuba can be very windy, so don't forget lip balm and ear plugs (for those whose ears get bothered by high winds).

  • Where to Eat: For those coming from Sac/Bay Area, I recommend stopping off at a little Fish and Chips place in Yuba City (see link below). It's not exactly gourmet dining, but it's pretty good, pretty cheap and if you can't get any fish on the river, at least you're guaranteed some here.
Enjoy the photos and let me know if you have any questions!

------------------------------------------
Click Here For Full Screen Slideshow (recommended)

Individual Photos (36 photos)

Driving Directions (courtesy of Google Maps)

Parking Area Off Highway 20

Yuba City Fish and Chips

Note: To use any photo as a screen background: 1) Go to Individual Photos link above 2) Go to that individual photo , 3) Click on the magnifying glass in upper right corner, then 4) Right-click and set as your background.

No comments: